Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Aunties and Uncle Jack



I can hardly believe this is my life. This morning I woke up at 6:30 and headed out to Mokolodi game reserve. Leslie, Jack, Marinda, Meeka and I were the five that decided to return to Mokolodi. We had coffee and biscuits with their wonderful staff and then took 40 pre-school aged kids on a safari. A SAFARI. Seriously, I would be perfectly happy staying in Bots forever... The weather is beautiful, the people are welcoming and most importantly we all feel so comfortable here.

We are still in the midst of site visits and determining where and when we are going to volunteer – tomorrow we have a 9am appointment at a local women’s shelter and then we are headed back to the Tlamelo project in the afternoon. I haven’t decided exactly where I will be and when, but I know that I will spend a great deal of time at the Tlamelo project and most likely a day or two a week at Mokolodi.

The Tlamelo project just gives you that feeling the instant you walk in - you never want to leave. Champ is the director we work with and is just an all around amazing guy. His dedication and passion for the project is really inspiring. Tlamelo is in the heart of Old Naledi (which is a very very poor area of Bots where HIV/AIDS rate is incredibly high) and provides approx. 150 orphaned children with a meal in the afternoon, there is also a lesson circle time and plenty of time set aside to simply pay attention and love on the kids.




Lessie and I riding in the back of Peter's truck through town from Mokolodi back to UB

No comments: