Sunday, June 15, 2008

'Hiking' is an understatement

above: the view from the top of Kgale hill
below: group pic after we finished the climb

Summary of the past week:
- Started teaching in Preschool, it has its ups and downs but I think I will really enjoy the class of about 40 crazy 5 and 6 year olds.


- Took a tour of Old Naledi – by far the worst slums I have ever seen, we visited with a few different families and I am amazed by how positive their attitudes remain despite their living conditions. Champs tour of the village really opened our eyes to how the children live on a day to day basis.

- The second day that I was suppose to teach the teacher said she wasn’t going to be at school (fairly common for teachers to just randomly not be in class) so I made the boys and Meeka come with me to help out – a very fun day with the toddlers and preschoolers.

- Saturday Jack and I went to another soccer game, Botswana vs Ivory Coast (1-1) we had a good time cheering for the Zebra’s tied game. That night Meeka, Jack and I went to out to a club called the ‘Fashion Lounge’ and met up with a few friends from Penn University and had a blast dancing the night away.

- Sunday the seven of us met up with Luke and Graham (2 guys we met through Tlamelo) and they took us on a hike up Kgale Hill. Kgale hill is the highest point in Gaborone and took about an hour and half of hardcore rock climbing to the top – the view was breathtaking, it overlooked the entire city and Gaborone Dam. We stayed on top of the hill and took in the view until sunset and headed back down into town for a dinner with Graham.



This is Tsaone a little boy from Naledi - the teachers have started calling him my son. I have basically fallen in love with him.

No comments: