Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A different kind of day...the happy and sad


Today was a different kind of day. It was my first full day teaching preschool in Old Naledi – I’m not exactly sure how to explain the feeling I had leaving the village today, but it was a first feeling for me being here, an uneasy feeling that I’m still trying to process.

I can’t pinpoint the change because most of my day was spent watching these 5 and 6 year olds sing and play, however, these kids that we laugh and play with day in day out are often sick, hungry and struggling.
On the bright side...they are learning and growing everyday and for that little time we are able to spend with them they are happy and loved - if that’s what we can provide while we are here it is worth every second of our time.

1 comment:

shannon said...

teacher teacher! hope all is going well! did you get another sweatshirt yet? oh wah. i love you. until we meet again.

love,
shani